- Excellent research skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organizing skills.
- Demonstrated understanding of issues of First Nations research, data and information governance.
- Demonstrated understanding of issues of personal and community privacy, personal and community ownership, and the technological and governance dimensions of data linkages and data management generally.
- Experience working with First Nation organizations or communities, and operational knowledge of issues facing First Nations locally, regionally and nationally.
- Ability to work with a small team while also taking initiative and self-direction.
- Understanding of Indigenous peoples’ paths to self-determination.
- Demonstrated understanding of Indigenous traditions of knowledge creation (storytelling, experiential learning, written and other texts) and education, and their relationship to Western science, education, and ways of knowing
- High proficiency with Microsoft Office work tools.
- High proficiency and creativity in designing presentations and other materials.
- Some proficiency in a First Nations’ language, or high proficiency in French.
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in one of:
- an applied social science (e.g., Science and Technology Studies, Information or Library Studies, Digital Humanities, Material Anthropology, Indigenous Governance or Law);
- a related social science, plus practical experience in data management, archive or library management, digital or information technology, or related;
- Computing, research administration, intellectual property, copyright, statistics, and related, plus demonstrated knowledge and experience of social, political, and cultural considerations.
- Minimum 3 years’ work experience in one or more settings requiring knowledge of information systems and information management and/or administration, preferably at least in part with First Nations or other Indigenous governments and organizations.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in a research setting.
- Experience in working with First Nations rightsholders, communities or leadership is preferred.
First Nations candidates will be given preference.